EUrophobe
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
 
Favourite MEP
Hmm. In amongst all the general anti-EU complaining, I thought I'd be nice to nominate my favourite MEP; i.e. the one with whom I most enjoy working. Also, I suppose it gives (some, meagre) profile to good politicians who, let's face it, wouldn't be recognised by your average pleb if the politico in question ran up to them and slapped them in the face with a still-damp haddock.

Runners-up medals to Michal Kaminski, Chris Heaton-Harris and Roger Helmer, but the winner has to be Czech MEP Ivo Strejcek. He's a stupendously pleasant chap, always happy to chat, and not to mention politically very sound as far as the EU and the new Constitution goes. The Czech MEPs played a blinder in the recent Constitution vote, with 17 out of 24 voting 'No'.

The lanyard I have for my Parliament pass reads "No to the Constitution", produced by the Czech ODS Party - I made a joke about Mr Strejcek's (he's the ODS chief whip), and the next day he brought me down a handful to distribute. Thoroughly nice man.

I can't imagine Phil Bradbourn (Tory chief whip) doing the same for a random Czech researcher...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger